Tokyo Thrift: Meguro-dori


 A rare day, a free day of some sort. A semi-quick stop in Tokyo to take care of business and then some. Be warned: this is a long post. Now my husband and I went hunting for the perfect summer gift to bring to old friends (Well, my husband's, so mine also by default? Is that how this works now?). All these before my husband visits the dentist the nth time - making me forever fearful of chomping down on meats and what havoc they might bring. 

Enough rambling, here are the shots that made it.

Now there are two branches of this thrift store and I must say whoever is curating this has a good eye:

                                            I bet these would look good on the ground floor, to be displayed somewhere near my desk area. Wouldn't be too ideal now as we've started Wonder Workshop which means a lot of kids roaming around but these will come in handy when we teach drawing figures.

                                            At times of emergency, design emergency, and the real emergency but you never know.

This tray table along with the leather armchair set - I really do want it. There are so many sofas back home (5 downstairs, 2 on the upper floor WHY) but there is no apt place where one can sit alone. Now that we've cleared up the space downstairs maybe these can come home with us. No?                                   

So the first few images were taken from the second branch which showcases such varied options for those furniture hunting days. I also fancy this glass cabinet. An aspirational style of the sort. 

A replica of an LC2, of course. This was the chair we had to base our furniture design on for the Philillpine Interior Board exam back in 2010. 

I remember my friend and client telling me it's hard to find large marble tables in Manila thrift stores. While here, it's just conveniently stored in the shop.

I have always fancied ART Deco ever since college, especially since my thesis was that of the Metropolitan Theater in Manila. Now, to combine two things I like: Art Deco and Dogs. Thank you. What am I supposed to feel about this? How am I supposed to think about this? 

Somewhat confused but entertained. 

Scenes from the first few hours after rummaging through Meguro all because the pallet boxes they have are affordable enough that we can fill it with enough food and beverages to make for an impressive spread. 

                                       

The writing area is a bit limited but I do like all the compartments perfect for all the existing stationary and pens I have. I do remember the price being less than 80,000Yen so I do think the price is just right. 

                                           This tray and all of its tiny compartments go for 12000JPY.                                         


That's just one thrift store company. 

---

There are more of course:

The biggest regret I have is not checking the camera if it did save the photos I shot -  this store, Moodys,  is a treasure trove of mid-century items and furniture from the 70s. We also saw 4 pieces of stunning vintage orange folding Samsonite chairs  (with armrests!) - there are times I think we should have bought them aside from it being 40,000Yen each but that would affect our Kobe trip budget.




Exterior shots of Point No. 39, an enchanting thrift store filled with small items to capture anyone's interest. There are lots of brass in case you follow the current interior design trends. Now if you want refreshments after all the vintage item hunting and walking, there's Sunao Coffee conveniently located by the store.

Another thrift store: ACME



---

A bonus from all the thrifting, something new.
When I say new, I mean manufactured recently. These lovely pieces by Karf would work seamlessly with the current interior design project we're handling.








That's all for now.





Comments

Popular Posts